Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Undocumented early MKIII wiring

Undocumented early MKIII wiring 16 Aug 2018 09:15 #1

• dynodave
  • dynodave's Avatar Topic Author
  • dynodave
  • Thank you received: 262
Again...at access norton...there was a discussion about light control on a MKIII. There was a whole bunch of posts to help the guy fix his problem , The late MKIII's have either the "ignition on/low charging lite solid state module under the air cleaner OR the "Canadian automatic headlight-on relay".

I noted that the discussion had unknowingly diverged from the original topic. This secondary discussion about 3 fuses in the head light bucket being original or not or add on.
I recognized they were probably discussing NOT the later "normal" documented wiring harness but instead the undocumented "early" harness that has a well known 3W tin can warning light assimilator. This version is only lightly mentioned in the shop manual.
I've known of this for a few decades.
I never knew the full technical extent of the early version, though I knew there was probably over 1000 bikes like this.

So I know of these early bikes:
approx
325250 12/74
325564 11/74
325750 12/74
32695X 01/75 so about 2000 and maybe more!
anyone willing to tell of higher VIN than these?
Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikethgreek

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Undocumented early MKIII wiring 17 Aug 2018 16:51 #2

• commando6868
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
As noted at the Rally in VA last year my 1975 Commando, build date in 1974, has a LOWER VIN number than Jim Winnings 1974. Mine has the warning light assimilator and the fuses in the bucket.So far, no problems with the wiring, ( that I didn't create!)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"THE FUTURE'S UNCERTAIN AND THE END IS ALWAYS NEAR"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.023 seconds