• Page:

TOPIC: Why We Crash

Why We Crash 22 Nov 2016 19:24 #1

• jim winning
  • jim winning's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Interesting article on a recent study of causes for motorcycle crashes:
www.revzilla.com/common-tread/what-virgi...rash-our-motorcycles

Seems the most common cause (at least for the 100 bikers studied) is rear ending other vehicles. Uncontrolled intersections (assume this means no stop signs or lights), right hand turns, downhill grades, unpaved roads, aggressive or inattentive driving, and maneuvering to avoid an object all increased the odds of crashing. Interesting observation at the end about the need to keep our heads up and look further down the road to increase reaction time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Why We Crash 23 Nov 2016 19:39 #2

• gocommando
  • Thank you received: 12
Interesting quick read. Could the lack of attention be due to taking in the sights,sounds and smells associated with being "in the wind"? I like the safety columns in RIDER and MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS. Might make an interesting topic to discuss at a meeting or an article for the newsletter ???

Why We Crash 24 Nov 2016 09:09 #3

• commando6868
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Good Idea. I have been riding motorcycles since 1970 and I have ridden many miles over the years. I have had 2 crashes, in 1972, a car turned left in front of me, " I didn't see you" said the old guy driving the Lincoln. About 4 years ago in stop and go traffic a young woman rear ended me.
What's yours?

"THE FUTURE'S UNCERTAIN AND THE END IS ALWAYS NEAR"

Why We Crash 24 Nov 2016 12:21 #4

• jim winning
I also started riding in 1970 and had 2 crashes, several near misses and a few drops. 1st crash was due to being distracted by a very attractive female (and maybe a few beers) caused me to run into the rear of my cousin's VW bug in front of the Showcase Cinemas in Lawrence. Both bike and rider went airborne over the VW. Second was caused by a kid running a red light at the intersection of Mass Ave and Rt 125 in N. Andover in his Country Squire wagon. Nailed me good and put me in the hospital.

Learned a long time ago to keep my head up and focus on the point where the pavement disappears and adjust speed based on the distance to that point. Look where you want to go and your ass will follow.

Why We Crash 24 Nov 2016 22:22 #5

• gocommando
  • Thank you received: 12
November 1976...on my cherry red 75 Roadster a very old gent makes a left turn in front of me - claims he never saw me. I made like superman and flew over his car, tiled and got up running, but not for long. My thighs hit the handlebars and spun them forward so after the quick run my quads stiffened right up as did my left wrist. Luckily no breaks. The Commando faired worse - crushed the front rim and fender and bent fork tubes. This happened in Roxbury about 1.5 miles from my house in the South End. Cops came said exchange papers and left. Luckily a friend who worked for Boston DPW came by and helped. Was offered a tiny garage space and spent the winter months fixing the bike. Other close calls but thankfully no crashes.

Why We Crash 02 Dec 2016 15:45 #6

• jim winning
Here is perspective on how dangerous motorcycle riding is. Seems riding a motorcycle is only 2.5 times more dangerous than walking.

BTW - Anybody have any micromorts lying around? I think my bucket is getting bit low.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds