Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gotta get this done - 72 Norton Commando

Gotta get this done - 72 Norton Commando 15 Feb 2023 20:29 #1

• ko
  • ko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guy's,

It's been too many years but the time has finally come to get this bike back together (I hope) -

My 72 Combat has been disassembled for many years, and I've been too focused on work / single-parent stuff (I'm not making excuses, just whining) for waaaaay too long. I currently have 2 registered bikes to ride (a Beemer K bike and an original 02 VRod) so I ride every season, even a few overnighter road trips - So I'm still a frequent rider.

I'm asking for some direction/suggestions on getting teamed up with someone with the bandwidth/experience to get me back on track - I'm a project manager by trade, so let me try to spell it out in detail -

The bike -

72 Company Commando ("C" designated head)
Fully disassembled - frame and most painted surfaces have been refinished (black) a few years ago - stored in a cool dry place
Engine is partially disassembled (top/bottom), just retrieved the barrels from Dyno Dave a few months ago (we never got to some work we had discussed, my thanks to Dave for keeping track of that in my long absence) -
I will assume that I need cases split and bottom-end Superblend bearings installed, and probably a fresh set of pistons (this was a runner back in the day, pistons/barrels have no visible damage - original)

Thoughts on planning, here is the work in 5 phases:
I'd like to work with someone with engine/wiring skills to get these 2 aspects addressed first - I want to work with someone to examine the engine and create a parts list, order the parts, and create a working plan in stages for the bike - roughly in this order

1. Engine - bottom end split cases and replace bearings, media blast and address any identified issues with barrel/head (pistons, rods, valves, etc...) - Transmission (have original, was working fine prior to disassembly) re-mated with the engine (if any rebuild/updates are needed, apply that work as needed). Completed engine/transmission mounted into the frame to complete this phase of the project
2. I rebuilt the Amal carbs several years ago - may need a refresh as they've sat for soo long...
3. Wiring harness replacement - I assume this is the 2 piece (for headlight/switches) from Andover Norton or similar, mounting the harness and sorting out the connections for the associated systems/parts
4. Wheels/Brakes - I have all of the original parts (cleaned, bagged/packed, labeled) - Lockheeds (master cylinder and calipers all need rebuilds, all lines need to be replaced, the rotor looks good, but who knows... Seat is crap, likely a replacee. The original wheels are decent, I bought new tires about 7 years ago and mounted them, but may replace again (they are mounted and inflated)
5. The rest - all of the assorted mounted switches, hoses, levers, All lights, electrics (Z diode, coils, etc) to get the bike back to a runner (I have gas and oil tanks - gas tank is questionable) - probably a long list of small stuff to buy here...

So, am I crazy thinking I can find someone to plan a rebuild based on the above? Realistically, I can't do this all by myself (neither the skill for most of the internal engine work, or the time to learn - so I want to shop out the needed skills) I'm not buying another bike until I either fix this beautiful old gal, or I throw in the towel once and for all - but I'm done doin' nothing.

I can box up everything and deliver to a garage/workshop (I'm in S. NH), and I can do a lot of the external/mechanical work (I'm ok w/ tuneup stuff, but not internals - have done lots of automotive - last job was power steering pump on my old Land Rover V8, replaced it in 3 hours, about 6 months ago, did the radiator before that, welded in floorboards before that - so I'm not completely worthless w/ a toolbox)

Lastly, I'd really like to get this done by August - and time is flying by (again) this year. Please share some thoughts, I'm hoping something clicks and I can breathe life back into this effort...

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gotta get this done - 72 Norton Commando 17 Feb 2023 09:55 #2

• dynodave
  • dynodave
  • Thank you received: 262
Sounds ideal for Wednesday night NNENO tech sessions. They replace the old NENO 1st and/or 3rd saturday tech sessions for the now defunct (NENO) Boston North Shore group. I did these for over 8 years.
They are my contribution to the local NHT community.
We did quite a few sessions to enable self help and I reluctantly took on some paid work for the more complicated and equipment required tasks.
I will continue the skype chats on the first wednesday's but the supplemental wednesday are available for in person meeting work and education sessions.
Lee M and Kirk B have resumed their projects at home...both combats

Recommend opening a "garage" in the "paddock" for sharing pix and story

contact me If needed: atlanticgreen.com/contact.htm

Gotta get this done - 72 Norton Commando 17 Feb 2023 16:44 #3

• ko
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I'm open to anything that gets this bike moving ahead - If there is a link for the Skype meeting I'll plan for joining the next one - -kjo

Gotta get this done - 72 Norton Commando 17 Feb 2023 17:01 #4

• dynodave
  • dynodave
  • Thank you received: 262
Keep track in the NNENO Tech Forum, NHT Tech Sessions for the schedule and topic discussion

The actual skype session code will only be posted in the NNENO Members Forum- Chat Room posting.
Any ? give me a phone call

Gotta get this done - 72 Norton Commando 18 Feb 2023 23:21 #5

• ko
OK, great - I'm going to move the bike (the frame and all parts that is) to the garage in March, once 'winter' is done and the AMG can stay in the driveway (yup, another smart decision)... I'll start to organize. Gettin' excited.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds