Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Amal Choke Removal

Amal Choke Removal 24 Jan 2021 09:37 #1

• GONZO
  • GONZO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Other than cold weather starts I never use the choke on my Amals. How necessary is the choke and is permanent removal an option here in New England? I see Amal supplies a blanking plug and I like the idea of less cables. I've also read that cold weather starts can be achieved with some extra tickling without the choke. Is anyone running choke-free?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Amal Choke Removal 24 Jan 2021 19:42 #2

• dynodave
  • dynodave
  • Thank you received: 262
Very few run when cold enough to matter much on pre 850. 750 are all around jetted richer and can do without chokes easier.
Tickling/flooding is essential. Once fired up the engine is still running on a rich/high fuel level but going down to normal quickly.
The 850 is entirely different. Balance exhaust pipe mainly for noise reduction also gave a bit of low RPM freeflow which induced scavenging with resultant leanness,to compensate for both effects. The lean 4 ring .needles AND cutaway spray tube.This pair work together to make a much leaner system that calls for a choke as much more essential
If you run "no 850 balance pipe" than it all goes out the window,,, run 750 jetted carbs
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMellin

Amal Choke Removal 29 Jan 2021 21:41 #3

• GONZO
  • GONZO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for this Dave, I ordered the plugs and am looking forward to losing the choke and its cables.

Amal Choke Removal 20 Feb 2021 10:42 #4

• commando6868
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Cold start on my '75 really needs the choke. Origional style pipes with crossover, Origional set of Dunstalls with the baffels in, Amal premier carbs set up with origional jetting, cutaways and spray tubes.

"THE FUTURE'S UNCERTAIN AND THE END IS ALWAYS NEAR"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.027 seconds