Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: oil after ride

oil after ride 31 Aug 2022 18:58 #1

• bwilley
  • bwilley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, Hope all is well. I am very new to the group and thankful to be here. I would be very happy if I could get some advice on an oil leak that appears on my 72 commando 750 after riding. I have checked the bolts and tightened them a bit but made no difference. This has been appearing here for a while and I had previously attributed it to the oil tank breather pushing oil into the breather box and then dripping down after I over filled it. This was not the case. I attached a photo. I accept that the bike will leak some from various places now and then but I don't want to disregard a potential problem. Thank you in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1972 Norton Commando 750 Roadster

oil after ride 01 Sep 2022 15:29 #2

• dynodave
  • dynodave
  • Thank you received: 262
B0?Ed?
pix is good
Now to do detective work
Clean area rag/ paper towelwipe.then... gasoline then , tide& water wash rinse then blow or towel dry.especially to and above iron barrel /case joint rear and sides.

now it's preped for immediate talcum powder "poof" all over after a pretty short short engine warm up & ride..

if source not found, then you may have to repeat higher in head area as intake and exh rocker covers sometimes leak and the oval shaft covers on the side of the head or the oil lines feeding the head..
If you want clarification before or after, call me Lots of variables to expand upon..

atlanticgreen.com/contact.htm
OK
dave

curious your oil line does not seem to come up between the engine plates and come up between the carbs? optical illusion?

oil after ride 07 Sep 2022 06:24 #3

• 1973norton
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi....Curious if you solved the oil leak in your photo. I overfilled my oil tank once and did have some oil leakage into the air filter.....is the the "breather box" you refer to? Is it possible you have an oil saturated air filter? The filter housing may be dripping from the bottom or possibly from the rubber boots at the carb air inlets....just a thought.

I recently replace my rocker feed oil lines which came as a kit fully assembled with banjos. Oil leakage may be originating from the top end oil lines or banjo connections....another possibility.

Good luck
Dave

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.027 seconds